Re-evaluating Xolair

So thanks to the incredibly mild winter my hayfever season has already started! Which means that I got my wish of wanting to see if xolair would help reduce my symptoms in my main allergy period. Turns out the answer to that is a resounding NO!

I've had hayfever symptoms for about 2 weeks and so far have had 1 A&E trip and am currently on day 5 of another holiday in hotel NHS! Yet another attack with a silent chest, IV aminophylline, critical care outreach reviews and oxygen for days - still avoiding the dreaded ITU admission, but to be honest I'm getting bored of skirting the line!

I think its probably time to give in and call it quits with the xolair, it helped a bit but its really not doing enough and staying on it is just stopping further treatments and investigations from happening. So we're hoping my clinic appointment can be brought forwards (its currently in about 6/7 weeks time) and that we can get everything pulled together and up to date with one consultant and make a new plan.

The problem with severe asthma is that because it is a chronic condition with acute flares there can be big issues with communication between teams. You come in for an attack and get patched up and sent on your way, but then there's no change to long term management or communication between all the teams involved. Tests get suggested and then never followed up on and the whole thing becomes very confusing and frustrating!

So hopefully we can bring everyone involved up to date and make a new plan - preferably one that involves a planned admission to try and cut down my steroids!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2019 Round-up!

The Methacholine/HistamineChallenge